This week I was able to work on the medical floor in the hospital. I liked working on this floor for a few reasons. The first reason is because instead of the ICU, which is always crazy and fast-paced, the medical floor is a little more low-key. There was still always something to do, but they are people getting healthier, instead of people who are in critical condition. That is the second reason why I liked shadowing on that floor. The patients who are taken care of on that floor are patients who are recovering and getting better, instead of getting worse. Many (but not all) patients in the ICU eventually die. There have been patients in the ICU who have died since I have started working there, which is very sad.
When I was shadowing on that floor I was able to learn many things. I learned how and what medication is used for each illness. I learned how to get the meds out of the holding room with the computers. I also learned what a feeding tube actually was (I've never seen one before), and watched medication and food be put through the tube. I also got to watch a patient receive an I.V. which was so interesting!
I would like to start out working on the medical floor. It is not a simple job, but it seems very rewarding. It would be a rewarding feeling to know that the people you help get better and are able to continue with their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment