Hey everyone,
I apologize for hopping on the blog-wagon a bit late, I just got the link this afternoon. Anyways, nice to read a bit about the companies and organizations you are all interning for this past January and into Spring semester. Looks like great opportunities to get a taste of careers in your respective fields of study.
This Spring I am continuing my internship from the Fall, but have gained new responsibilities and am working towards building upon the foundations I set up last term. I intern for Girl Scouts of America, but more specifically the majority of my internship requires me to serve as a CHOICE advisor at Duniway Middle School, here in Mac. With this position, I organize weekly agendas and meet with girls on their school campus to lead discussions and activities pertinent to contemporary issues that middle-school aged girls typically face, more specifically girls deemed "at risk". Last term we covered topics like friendships, relationships, abuse, responsibility, rumors, safe sex, alcohol and drug use, etc.
This term is more relaxed in the nature of the topics, however a new challenge for me this Spring is recruiting new girls, maintaining existing members, and keeping the topics fresh, interesting, and the club a resource for girls who might not otherwise have positive role models.
Last meeting, before spring break presented a new challenge that I felt prepared for but had not yet encountered. One of my girls was dealing with heavier emotional issues than she'd ever brought up before (she is a returnee) and it was my responsibility to breech confidentiality and report it to someone higher than me for her saftey and well being. It's difficult to be placed in a situation like that, but great insight into dilemmas I may encounter in a psychology or social work career.
I look forward to sharing more about my goals, challenges, and internship experiences over the next couple months. I have an event on campus for local Girl Scouts coming up soon, so you may see some signage relating to that around the 16th/17th of April.
Hope you all had lovely Spring Break vacations & look forward to reading about your internships!
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment