My post grad ambitions are to eventually earn a grad degree in psychology or social work and maintain a steady course towards a career in child welfare. This past year, my internship has been a fabulous source of insight and experience into some of the issues and difficulties, both legal and moral, that arise when working with such a fragile population.
The week before Spring Break one of my girls at Duniway couldn't actively participate in our meeting activity because she had a swollen finger. I asked her if she was alright, and if it was by accident, seeing as sometimes we all jam our fingers or close them in doors, etc. Casually she mentioned that she hadn't done it by accident, but a conflict at home escalated and ended up with her finger being hurt, perhaps intentionally.
I am grateful for my training both through Res Life and through Girl Scouts, which have prepared me and introduced me to laws I, as a CHOICE advisor, must uphold. It is a sticky situation because I am afraid to lose this girl as a participant in CHOICE as I feel it truly benefits her, but it is my job and responsibility to report what she told me to my superior.
I am not positive what situations, if any, and of my internship-peers are placed in while working. But have any of you had to deal with a similar type situation?
It's stressful, but I find it very valuable experience and a fantastic glimpse into the responsibilities of a social worker with a career focused in child welfare.
Sunday, April 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment